Positions are available for the Graduate Program in Data Science (GP-DS) for the Spring 2020 period.
- Application requirements
Applicants should satisfy the following requirements:
- Graduate students belong to the following graduate schools at Tohoku University
- Graduate School of Information Sciences
- Graduate School of Life Sciences
- Graduate School of Economics and Management
- Graduate School of Medicine
- Graduate School of Engineering
- Graduate School of Science (Mathematics)
- Currently a first year Master's student who entered her/his graduate school in October 2018 or April 2019.
- Will be a second year Master's student (as of April 2020)
- Have a plan to work on her/his doctoral research project related to data science with international joint supervision
- Have a strong recommendation from her/his current academic supervisor
- Have reasonable expectations to join the GP-DS program
- Students who will not continue to the PhD program are not eligible to apply for this program.
- Students who will continue to the PhD program starting April 2020 may be allowed to apply to this program in case the GP-DS steering committee approves. If qualification for her/him to be a PhD student is not yet decided at the application, her/his academic advisor needs to mention that the applicant has a sufficient ability and accomplishment to be a PhD student in the recommendation letter. Please submit relevant publications that support applicant’s ability (if there is any).
- In addition to this program, students can also apply for multiple degree programs. However, even if multiple programs are passed, no more than two programs can be taken. Students who want to take two programs need to pass both programs and complete the registration from both programs before deciding on a major or minor major. (Depending on the program, multiple courses may not be accepted.) In addition, only main major can receive economic support. In addition, only the name of the main major program is attached to the degree.
- Affiliated universities abroad (as of 2019):
- Case Western Reserve University (USA)
- National Tsing Hue University (Taiwan)
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (Germany)
- Paderborn University (Germany)
- University of Maryland (USA)
- The Ohio State University (USA)
- Purdue University (USA)
- KU Leuven (Belgium)
- Uppsala University (Sweden)
- Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Italy)
(Those are candidate universities with which the GP-DS steering committee aims to conclude an agreement for the jointly supervised degree program)
We accept application documents from December 9, 2019 to December 20, 2019.
In case you want to submit your application documents in person, please visit the GP-DS (Office Hour: (Mon - Fri) 9:00 - 16:00). The office address can be found at the bottom of this page.
Otherwise, if you want to mail your application documents to the GP-DS office, please write “Application Documents for the Graduate Program in Data Science” in red ink on the envelope. The documents must arrive by December 20, 2019.
Mailing address can be found at the bottom of this page.
Required application documents
Send your application documents to the GP-DS office by the deadline above.
The application documents can be downloaded from here: http://gp-ds.tohoku.ac.jp/
- Tohoku University GP-DS Application (Form A)
- Statement of Purpose (Form B)
- Sealed recommendation letter (Form C)
- Original academic transcript (both from undergraduate and graduate studies. We will not accept photocopy of the transcripts)
- Copy of test score(s) from either the TOEFLTM, TOEICTM, or IELTSTM
- All application documents should be written in Japanese or English. Otherwise, please attached the translation in either Japanese or English.
- Incomplete application documents will not be processed.
- Submitted application documents will not be returned.
*TOEFL and TOEIC are the registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service
*IELTS is jointly owned by British Council, IDP:IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment
Applications are evaluated on the basis of application documents and interview. The interview will be conducted from Monday, January 27, 2020 to Friday, January 31, 2020.
Applicants will be notified of the details of the interview.
Applicants will be notified of their admission status by Thursday, March 19, 2020.
We are committed to ensuring that students of the GP-DS program receive assistance toward their studies and research. The amount of financial support will be determined according to Tohoku University’s regulations. GP-DS students who (will) receive other financial support should contact the GP-DS office.
To complete this program, students need to satisfy the program-specific requirements in addition to the general degree requirements of his/her graduate school.
Please see the GP-DS website for more information: http://gp-ds.tohoku.ac.jp/
Address: Graduate School of Information Sciences, Tohoku University
Room 413, 6-3-09, Aramaki-aza-Aoba, Aoba, Sendai, 980-8579, Japan